Tuesday, February 10, 2009

More of that Icky Love Stuff

1)  Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect admits to disliking romantic poetry and has issued her Monday Poetry challenge
As unromantic as I am, I thought it would be interesting to write a love poem. There is a catch, however. The love poem you write cannot include any terms of endearment or words of adoration. How's that for you? A Love poem without explicit words of love. Also, you don't necessarily need to write about a person, as surely there are those who love things as much as people (or pets).
I'll think on it, Tricia. It all depends on what you define as "terms of endearment." If I call my nine-year old van "Old Goldie," is that too affectionate for you? How about if I channel Pablo Neruda and admit that my favorite running socks are sturdy and wooly? No? Too explicit? In that case, I may need to invent some completely neutral action verbs like "to Depp"  or "Fiennes with" to stand in for passionate interest. (And "Lovett!" Got to able to use that one.)

And on a slightly related note...

2) The kennel staff who watch over our crazy dog when we're away sent her a Valentine's package yesterday. I thought it might have a heart-shaped biscuit in it. Or a coupon for a pampering bath and groom.  But no. . . it was a book of poetry.

(Everyman's Library Pocket Poets)

In paging through it, I'd say that it's very, very tricky to write a poem about a dog that is better than the dog is.  But perhaps I'll read a few to the intended recipient and see what she thinks. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I said it. I'm not wholly unromantic, however. The thought of your husband carrying your book around is swoon-worthy (and romantic), but it's not sticky sweet, which is what I dislike.

    I like the covert displays of affection, so I think that's where my poem will go. (I hope it follows my lead, but you never know where the words will take you.)

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.