Tuesday, October 20, 2009

National Day on Writing Galleries and Jody Call Winners

Happy National Day on Writing! Everyone should be . . .uh....writing. That's what I'm going to do after I post this.  First, some links to celebrations of writing across the 'net.

At A Year of Reading, a video montage of bloggers and writers, sharing their take on the phrase "a lifetime of reading."  Also, an invitation to view A Year of Reading's gallery of writing, in which Franki and Mary Lee asked kidlitosphere members to submit a post about their reading lives.  (Pssst . . . want to see a really cute picture of Mary Lee?)

At Kate Messner's LiveJournal, a gallery illuminating the revision process, featuring the marked-up, tagged, scribbled-on, and tear-splotched pages of several children's writers (including me.)  I admire Kate's blog, because she always has such practical ideas to share with other teachers, students and writers, and this revision showcase is definitely one of them.  (By the way, the teeny omission of the word "to" in the note accompanying my pages is all my doing, not Kate's. We're working on getting that . . . wait for it. . . . revised.)

At Mitali Perkins' blog, "thank you love notes" written by 8th graders. Not edited. Not revised. From the heart. Priceless.

Finally, I want to celebrate ALL the writers who braved their inner drill sergeants and posted a jody call in my contest to win a copy of Operation Yes. You can see all the jody calls here (along with pictures of little green army men taken by my agent, Tina Wexler.)  Hey! That could be my National Day on Writing Gallery!  I'll bet I'm the only jody call post they get.

Alas, only three can win, although all were awesome. In the end, the military judge ruled in favor of these three:  Amber Lough, Marjorie Light, and Maribeth.   Congratulations and please email me your address so I can get your signed copies to you. (Unless you'd like several weeks of boot camp and chow hall food instead.)  Email to: email@saralewisholmes.com and please specify if you'd like the book inscribed to a particular person.


"I hear it's National Day on Writing.
Think someone will write about us?"

7 comments:

  1. Congrats to the winners. I tried to write one. I really did. But it was staggeringly lame. I left it to the pros instead.

    Jules
    7-Imp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to the winners...I am finally thinking of a jody call to use for the transitions between library and music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I had so much fun writing that jody, and it made me happy the entire rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your contribution to the "Lifetime of Reading" video and for mentioning it here! And about that "cute picture"...*blush*!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, I am so excited. I can't wait to have a signed copy of Operation Yes.
    Thanks for the fun contest. Woo-Woo-Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yippee! I was so excited I emailed Sara to thank her, tell her how much I loved the book, etc...I hit send...and then realized I forgot to give her my address! My students (who are loving this book too) will be so excited to hear I won...perhaps we'll annoy the teachers nearby by singing out the jody call LOUDLY tomorrow in class! : ) Thanks again-Marjorie Light

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.