Friday, March 2, 2018

Poetry Friday: Garden of the Gods


This month's poetry challenge takes place in The Garden of the Gods.  I've been there.


Mike and I, last fall



I just didn't see this:



Liz did, though.  And she asked us to write a poem about it this month.


Remember the etheree? (We wrote one back in 2015.)  Each line has one more syllable than the one before.  Steady as she goes, for as long as you like.

I thought it an appropriate form to talk about How Did This Happen?  and Best Laid Plans and possibly: Where Do We Go From Here?


We
never
considered
stone was alive
until we saw it
dead still, licking its wounds.

---Sara Lewis Holmes (all rights reserved)



Find my poetry sisters here:

Liz
Tanita
Kelly
Laura
Tricia
Andi

Poetry Friday is hosted today by No Water River.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, Sara, this is fantastic! I just finished reading The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin, which is a fantasy series which characters called "stone eaters". They are humanoids who move through rock and no one really understands all they can do. Your poem fits right in with where I've been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Andi...that’s great timing. I’ll have to look for that book. This photo honestly stumped me for a long time. There was so much it could be that it was hard to settle on an angle. (I kind of wanted to write about a spaceship that fell into a crack and got stuck.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Etheree is a form I hadn't even considered for this! (Frankly, the easiest looking forms are for me the hardest.) I love this - and the idea of the stone both living and dead and kind of sulking up there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried my hand at an etheree - you make it look so effortless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, I love how each line seems so innocuous, so everyday, until we get to that final stunning line. That kind of takes my breath away! I feel like I'm watching a sf/horror movie and someone with a fabulous voice is doing a voiceover of the captain's log that records the crew's final day and breaks off, right before the apocalypse or something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way this builds to the last line. This is the perfect form for the image and the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Jane--you make this look effortless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome take on this picture! Very original.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness. I love your interpretation, Sara, and how it sneaks up on the reader right at the end. Wonderful choice of form, and so well executed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh...another new form! I love what your poem does for that incredible picture. And now I have another place to add to my list of places I'd love to visit!

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.