Friday, February 3, 2017

Poetry Friday: A Villanelle Too Brief to be Believed

Brevity is the soul of wit, they say....

or perhaps it's only that too little time can make one punchy.

Whatever the case, when I realized The Poetry Sisters challenge was due this week---AND that the task was to compose a villanelle on the theme of the shortness of time---I, being actually VERY short of time---briefly (ha!) lost my mind and wrote the first thing that popped into my small brain.

(Or perhaps February always makes me get silly.)

In either case, it's no languid, genteel flow of words here today, folks---this poem is mercifully quick, and defectively concise.



A Villanelle Too Brief to be Believed

To rhyme "brevity"
requires no skill
but high levity;

forget grandevity--
it's years off your life; a pill
to rhyme brevity

with something shorter than longevity.
See? It’s no thrill.
But high levity

aside— yippee!—
wit is much more chill
to rhyme. Brevity,

to an alarming degree,
may be fast-acting, like NyQuil,
But high levity?

A truly jackrabbity
beast. Yet—what an ever so long-lasting thrill
to rhyme brevity
with high levity!

---Sara Lewis Holmes (all rights reserved)

I'm hoping my Poetry Sisters have put up something far more poignant.

Liz
Tanita
Laura
Kelly
Tricia

Poetry Friday is hosted today by Penny Parker Klostermann at A Penny and Her Jots.

22 comments:

  1. ha ha ha -- jackrabbity!
    This is a delight, Sara, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That word just hopped into my poem---and then it had to stay. :)

      Delete
  2. I adore this poem. And I see that you were inspired by Polonius, which is where I first tried to go, but just couldn't make it work. The enjambment you have here is absolutely, wonderfully delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, Kelly. And thank you for noticing my enjambment---that is one of my fav things to play with in a poem.

      Delete
  3. This poem is a playground of fun, Sara. Man, you are so clever.

    But high levity?

    A truly jackrabbity
    beast.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt a bit chagrined when I saw your amazing poem, Laura...but...the world needs some jackrabbity levity, too, right? I'm so grateful we all write what we need to write each month. xo

      Delete
  4. Ah - you made that quote work! I could not, like Kelly. And frankly, my head has been in a wholly different place. Thank you for always bringing the funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thank YOU for bringing the prickly. xo

      Delete
  5. These exercises are so much fun. I think they force us to give up on perfection and just enjoy working with language. I loved "jackrabbity."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. Perfection is not possible, and the sooner I give up on it, the more fun I have. :)

      Delete
  6. This made me smile today--and that is a gift indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad. And thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  7. Jackrabbity! A word I need to incorporate into my everyday vocabulary. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved grandevity ...
    I thought it was absurd that I'd chosen the word brief, but brevity! You did right by it in so many ways. I love that the poem not only uses brevity, but is the essence of brief. Bravo! (I love it when you're playful, so this was fun to read.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tricia. You are a word appreciator, I know. This poem started out wordier, but I quickly realized I had to pare it down---way, way down---in order to stay true to the theme. Once again, the exercise led me someplace unexpected. Hooray for that!

      Delete
  9. I just "villanelled" for the first time recently myself. VERY impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love every bit, especially that you found a laugh in your challenge for "brevity." But that word "grandevity" may be something our new president would use, better than bigly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We can all use more levity in our brevity. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow----NyQuil! Now, that's fast acting funny. It's hard to keep up with all the emotional energy life at the moment needs. This was a welcomed giggle. Have a great week and month. I love visiting the Poetry Princesses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really fun. I'm enjoying reading the villanelles by The Poetry Sisters!

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.