Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Saying Yes

Do you remember, two months ago, when I wrote this:
Jan. 1, 2008

As for me, I hereby pronounce 2008 to be

The Year of Once (Upon a Time)

This year, I want to believe in the magic of words on paper. I want to believe in love that transforms, and art that heals. I want to believe in journeys that change you, in spells that are broken, and in rough stones (even me) that become gems.

I also wrote:
This year, before saying "yes" to something that beckons to me, I'll say: "Is it part of the story I want my life to tell?"

Last Friday, I said yes to something that I very much want to be part of my life story. Cheryl Klein---yes, that Cheryl, of Arthur A. Levine Books, and of the brilliant and funny blog, Brooklyn Arden---asked me if I would work with her on my next two books.

It was the easiest yes I've ever said.

Many, many hugs to my agent, Tina Wexler, for putting us together.

I'll admit, there were several days when I forgot that I had vowed, in that same Jan. 1 post, to do this:
This year, each day, every day, I'll begin with: "Once upon a time, there was a girl who believed..."
The universe must have forgiven me for my lapses. But then, it's larger than I am. Reading, writing, and believing are all larger than I am. For which I am grateful.

P.S. Here's the official announcement from the Publishers Marketplace newsletter:

CHILDREN'S: MIDDLE GRADE
Author of LETTERS FROM RAPUNZEL, Sara Lewis Holmes' NEW RECRUIT, the story of two cousins living on an Air Force base, the dynamic sixth grade teacher who introduces them to improv, and the community that rallies around them when one of their own goes missing in Afghanistan, to Cheryl Klein at Arthur A. Levine Books/Scholastic, in a two-book deal, by Tina Wexler at ICM (NA).

32 comments:

  1. I offer you my sincere, tearful congratulations. What a wonderful, exciting, incredible bit of news and I thank you SO MUCH for sharing it with me. I'm thrilled for you. They are very, very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee!! I just saw this over on PM and came rushing over here. Fantastic! And ... I can't wait to read it! And ... I'm psyched to hear what the next one will be!

    Congratulations, Sara, Cheryl seems wonderful. I'm going to advocate for a second- (and third!-) time author's panel at the next SCBWI conference. You two would be awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great news. I can't wait for the books. You and Cheryl are going to make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-hoo, Sara!! A huge congratulations to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. FANTASTIC!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! THIS FONT ISN'T BIG ENOUGH TO CONVEY EXCITEMENT!!

    Truly wonderful news, Sara!! Big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a friend of a friend, and an admirer of Cheryl Kline, let me congratulate you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's terrific news! Congratulations to you (and to Cheryl, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wonderful, Sara. And clearly much deserved!! Isn't it wonderful to be able to say yes to something that you really really want? I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really great news Sara. I didn't realize I was in the presence of such talent at the conference, but after keeping up with your blog and your poetry, I understand everything. Much Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happily ever after already and it's only March. Dang, honey, you are movin' it this year!!!!!! Seriously, HUGE HUGE HUGE (to the power of somethin') hugs of joy and congratulations. You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. most xlnt! the power of yes is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, CONGRATULATIONS! I imagine the Warrior who has been carrying your books everywhere now wants to carry a sign: "She DID IT!"

    All joy to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wowwowwowwowwowwow!

    Congratulations! That is completely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! THIS IS BIGGER THAN BIG. HUGER THAN HUGE. AWESOMER THAN AWESOME!!
    So happy for you, Sara. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. FANTASTIC, Sara!!! I am so happy for you!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woohoo! Happily ever after indeed! This is amazing news. I can't wait to see your husband's backpack with these new titles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sara, congratulations! That is wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Sara! Congratulations! Wow, I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh wow!! High five, Sara!!! That is wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATS!! You are going to bloom even more.

    jules

    ReplyDelete
  21. KEWL! Congratulations, Sara! What a way to jump into spring!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hooray, Sara! And congratulations! And well-deserved! I'm so very thrilled for you! (Yes! Lots of exclamation points! Because I am so very happy!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOO HA! I am so excited for you. I can't wait to read this book! Go 'head girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey, I said it in person on Sunday, but let me add my voice to the comments as well in offering kudos. You rock sister.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Seriously??? Could it get more awesome than this? Congrats, Sara! I can't wait to see what you guys cook up.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm WAY late to this party, but I still want to add mine: CONGRATS! WOO-HOO! and SQUEEEE!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dude! How did I miss this???? I'm so happy for you!!!!

    xixoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoLaurel

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! By the way, I finally read Letters from Rapunzel, and enjoyed it very much. My 4 1/2 year old daughter saw the cover and asked about the story. I explained that the book wasn't actually a story about the fairy-tale character, but... oh, it's so hard to keep it simple, sometimes. Anyway, her drawings of Medusa have been replaced with drawings of Rapunzel as a result.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.