Monday, April 7, 2008

Good Gifts and Good Poems

Oh, wow. I am LATE posting today. I confess that I was consumed by two things, one important and bookish, the other not important and geeky.*

The important? A birthday present for my husband. He asked for a book of poetry, and I decided to vandalize (no, personalize!) the copy I'm giving him.



The book is Garrison Keillor's Good Poems, which is a compilation of poems from his daily public radio show, The Writer's Almanac. I went through the poems and wrote notes to my husband on many of the pages, pointing out lines I loved, or images that reminded me of something we'd done together or I want to do together one day.

I don't normally write in books, but this was fun. I can't wait to see what he thinks, and if he'll write notes back. The longer I love him, the harder it is to find him a worthy present!


*The not so important and geeky thing? Figuring out how to make those "email me" links work with Firefox and Gmail. If you want to know, the answer is: Firefox Plug-in: Better Gmail 2. I'm not kidding. It works. Now I can click on the Email Me button on my website, and email myself a fan letter. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I loaned a good friend a book once, and he filled it with notes and gave it back. Sounds rude, right? But I was thrilled, and he knew I would be, I'm sure. That's one of my favorite things ever.

    Happy birthday to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love written in books -- if it's done lightly in pencil, I'll even take the words of strangers, not to mention the words of friends or lovers. Maybe this comes from having purchased so many used textbooks over the years, but it gives you that 'we're all in this together' feeling of being part of an intellectual conversation. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.