Thursday, February 28, 2008

Everyday Marketing

When my husband goes to work, he wears his Air Force uniform. Some days, that's a green flightsuit; other days, it's his dress blues; and sometimes, it's his camouflage shirt and pants (the "battle dress uniform" or BDU.) But in most cases, no matter which uniform he wears, he carries a plain, black, inexpensive backpack slung over his shoulder. And in the outside mesh pocket of that backpack, he carries---for every passerby to see---postcards of the cover for Letters From Rapunzel.



It makes me smile to think of the double-takes he must get, when people see a warrior carrying an image of a children's book. (That's an Air Force coin next to it, if you're wondering.)

He often comes home and tells me "I sold a copy of your book today." I think he must have hand-sold several hundred copies by now. The latest sales were to: the guy who financed our car, and another officer after a pin-on ceremony. Watch out if you sit next to him on the subway!

I think I'm going to start calling him my Secret Weapon.

11 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! Your husband totally rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A warrior and a romantic. You lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband is SO cute! Love his low pressure, one-at-a-time, personalized sales technique. I'm a sucker for a man in uniform. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. That is such a romantic gesture. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now if only there was a way to get a stackload of those postcards inside a B52. Mind you I'm sure he's working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He simply rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a sweet story. Thanks for the smile.

    I just noticed your blog URL is saraleWISHolmes. You get an extra wish with that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. touching touching touching...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so precious, in the best possible way.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.