Monday, February 25, 2008

Mom goes Superbad

I have kind of a hangover. Not from drinking. From watching Superbad. Have any of you seen it? I watched it instead of the Oscars last night and I feel as if I was turned into a teenage boy for several hours. My head still hurts. (My son was horrified that I was watching it. Mostly because he'd already seen it and knew what was in it.)

It was a great movie. Painfully funny, in the way that The Office often is. Raunchy---I won't lie. (Do not watch this with anyone you are already uncomfortable with.) But like the best YA novels, it lets you live the embarrassment without suffering any of the real-life consequences.

I also give it high marks for portraying drinking with all the accompanying vomiting, fighting, and bad decisions. And it gets true love right, too. If you ever find someone who's willing to carry you---and I mean literally pick you up and carry you---out of danger, stick by them, man. Do it.

I think my next movie is going to have to be something highly literary and refined, perhaps more of the lovely Jane Austen series on PBS's Masterpiece Theater. I will play Gillian Anderson's introductions in her calm, measured voice over and over and over, until I'm in an old mom, hormone-free trance. Because as good as it was, I don't think I can pound shots of Superbad Teenage Boy again any time soon.

15 comments:

  1. Sara-- Have you seen "Elling?" It's a funny and sweet Norwegian movie, and there's poetry involved...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny!
    The Oscars were long and dull though John Stewart did his best -I escaped to play on line solitaire for a bit.
    As regards "Superbad" - my secret vice is/was Beavis and Butthead.
    Perhaps I never really grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I just looked up Elling on Netflix and added it to my queue. I have a tiny bit of Norwegian blood in my veins, so I'm intrigued. That and the poetry, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me about Superbad. I heard good things but forgot about it. I could use a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget Jane Austin. Well, don't forget her; give her a couple of hosannas and then go watch Knocked Up!! (I also need to mention that Seth Rogen and Jonah Hill were presenters at the Oscars. They had the only funny segment...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We loved 40-Year-Old Virgin and really liked Knocked Up, but Superbad didn't live up to all the great reviews, for me. I thought it was ok, but not great. Maybe just too high of expectations. (Obviously, the critics all agreed with your take on it. I kept reading raves about the movie.)

    Sometimes I'm better off seeing movies and reading books that I have no expectations of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I've been a lurker for about a week because I find your blog interesting, but as a member of JASNA, must correct you: It's Jane Austen (not Austin).

    Have a great day, and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops. Please note that Sara got it right in her post; it was only wrong in my comment, for which I deserve a thousand lashes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! Corrected. And I'm glad you caught it before Kelly Fineman did. :)

    In my defense, I've been emailing someone in Austin a lot recently. (You know who you are.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mad, I take full responsibility for leading you astray. I just corrected it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Superbad. It's that reality with good dose of humor thing I can't get enough of, plus coming-of-age stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course you did, adrienne. And I hope you take it as the highest compliment that I would've been perfectly comfortable watching it with you.

    Laura, I haven't seen either of those movies yet, which is why I came to Superbad without any baggage. After Gillian makes me all pure and holy again, I'll try watching Knocked Up. ;)

    Hi, Joey! Good to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL - I had to watch "Balls of Fury" last night with my husband and kids. I mean, I was literally held hostage in front of the TV. It was funny, but such a waste of brain cells!

    I will have to pick up Superbad for my next trip into a horrifying stuper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I laughed almost as hard at Superbad as I did at Borat. Superbad was the most profane movie I've seen in ages, but boy was it funny. McLovin was awesome. I love him. I think I may have to see the new Will Ferrell movie next.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard good things about Superbad, but still haven't seen it somehow. Looking forward to it, though. But I'll have to agree with Amy H. about Balls of Fury...funny, but a waste of brain cells...

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.