Monday, September 8, 2008

Digital Bookmobile


I had no idea such a thing existed.

The press release:

DIGITAL BOOKMOBILE COMING TO CENTREVILLE

A digital bookmobile will be in the parking lot of the Centreville
Library from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 13 (rain or shine).
The bookmobile provides a great opportunity for people to learn more
about downloading audiobooks, eBooks and more. There will be
instructional videos and interactive computer stations so readers of all
ages can experience new ways to enjoy digital books and more from the
library. For more information visit the library's Web site at
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library. Centreville Regional Library is located
at 14200 St. Germain Dr., Centreville, VA 20121.

P.S. I've only lived one place that was served by a bookmobile, and that was the military family housing area on Fort Adams, in Rhode Island. I loooooved that thing. There was something about all those books squeezed into one tiny, but orderly, space that made them feel even more like the treasures they were.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'd forgotten about the Bookmobile. But I was thinking a digital book mobile would be a computer-based thing that gave out paper books. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid, we had a Bookmobile come out weekly. We lived in an unincorporated area and many of our neighbors were Hispanic laborers, so a lot of the books were in Spanish and in English. I ADORED that Bookmobile, and I'd come out of there with as many books as I could carry. Safely nonfiction, of course. Those librarians probably thought I was so smart.

    ...but it makes me wonder, realizing that we HAD a Bookmobile, that maybe we were poor... because other places get libraries...

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.