Friday, September 12, 2008

Poetry Friday: Bond and Free

I love this poem because it praises Thought with its "dauntless wings" (I love that!) but it also says what I have to constantly re-discover: Love by being thrall /And simply staying possesses all

Bond and Free

by Robert Frost

Love has earth to which she clings
With hills and circling arms about—
Wall within wall to shut fear out.
But Thought has need of no such things,
For Thought has a pair of dauntless wings.

On snow and sand and turf, I see
Where Love has left a printed trace
With straining in the world’s embrace.
And such is Love and glad to be.
But Thought has shaken his ankles free.

Thought cleaves the interstellar gloom
And sits in Sirius’ disc all night,
Till day makes him retrace his flight,
With smell of burning on every plume,
Back past the sun to an earthly room.

His gains in heaven are what they are.
Yet some say Love by being thrall
And simply staying possesses all
In several beauty that Thought fares far
To find fused in another star.

Poetry Friday is hosted today by Jennie at BiblioFile

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS. I'm going to have to reread and re-reread.

    Thought really does get away -- with being unafraid. One hopes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this makes me all light-headed and swooney...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't I seen this one before? Wow. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Jama - haven't seen this one before. How heady it makes me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with everyone else. I love this, but hadn't seen it before. Thanks, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, that Robert Frost. He can turn a phrase, you betcha. "His gains in heaven are what they are." What a quiet wit there.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.