Monday, January 14, 2008

SCREAMING!

THE WHITE DARKNESS! THE WHITE DARKNESS!

I'm sorry---I just had to scream that! The White Darkness just won the Printz Award! I was jumping up and down and yelling in front of my computer. My dog came running in to see what was wrong.

If you want to know why I'm so excited, well---I nominated this book for the Cybils, I told Little Willow that it was my favorite read of 2007, and after I read it as a library book, I ran out and bought it.

When I first blogged about it, I said:

"I'll sign off here shortly, but the wireless network inside the library will continue to broadcast. I think that's a mini-miracle, a great and wonderful invention, but it's nothing compared to the intimate, quiet pulse of a library book that finds me, alone and in need of sustenance, and steadily breathes life back into my pale form: THE WHITE DARKNESS"

In the body of Little Willow's post, and over at goodreads.com, I said:

"I loved every word of this amazing book. The writing is breath-taking, and the plot just pulls you along. And most of all, you completely believe in the inner world of the main character, which is incredible because this is a girl with a long-dead explorer for an imaginary friend."

Later, in the comments to Little Willow's post, I said:

"I have to give credit to Colleen Mondor of Chasing Ray for recommending The White Darkness on her blog, and in Bookslut:

http://www.bookslut.com/bookslut_in_training/2007_06_011207.php

Oh, and here's the opening line: 'I have been in love with Titus Oates for quite a while now––which is ridiculous, since he's been dead for ninety years.'

See? With that one line, I bought into her idea of this imaginary companion. Because the narrator's skeptical too, and because he once WAS a real person, and because she truly NEEDS him to be with her, and because she knows so incredibly much about him, and they have wonderful, literary, romantic conversations. It's not in any way twee or flimsy."

Thank you, Printz committee, for honoring this superb book.

And yes, I'm very excited about the many other awards, too. Some great, great choices. And w00t, Orson Scott Card for the Margaret A. Edwards award! I just don't have time to scream about them all at once.

8 comments:

  1. I still haven't read this! Ah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! (The scream heard around the world.) You've got me so psyched up about this book I'm going to reserve it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like I have another good book to add to my reading list! Right now the list is just in my head but I think I need to actually make it out so that I don't forget. Thank you for inspiring me to start a list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really, really have to read this book already.

    I bet Eisha's excited, too. Didn't she read it and love it? {Time interlude while I go look} -- yes, she mentioned it here -- http://blaine.org/sevenimpossiblethings/?p=876.

    Anyway, you both have excellent taste -- as well as the Printz committee -- so there, I'll have to go read it.

    Jules, 7-Imp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Mize, yes, we all have that list in our heads, don't we? And mine keeps growing and growing, mostly due to my blog friends and their reviews and comments. We can't seem to stop recommending things to each other...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved White Darkness, don't get me wrong, but I saved my screams for Mo. Oh, and Hugo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some great stuff this year. I haven't read TWD yet, but it's on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I just put this on the reserve list at the library. Can't wait to read it! Thanks for the enthusiastic recommendation (which I always trust more than an award!).

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.