Thursday, November 6, 2008

Read Write Believe

We're told that the key to success is "to believe in ourselves."

We're counseled to tell those we love that we believe in them too.

Teachers believe in their students. Parents believe in their children. Countless writers say that they would've given up on their eventual masterpieces if not for another friend or writer or editor who "believed in them."

I don't think of belief as blind faith in anything--not in a thing, a person, or a system. I think of belief as love in action.

We see.
We hold fast.
We call forth.

If you're drafting a long story---and many of you are for National Novel Writing Month---believing means knowing the words you put on the page today are not the end.

See them clearly, as neither bad nor good, but just the beginning.
Hold fast to the plan you've set out for yourself.
Call forth what you have today.

It is by such actions that we love into existence what we truly believe in.

10 comments:

  1. Just wow. I so needed to hear that today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that, Sara. I happen to be trying -- really really trying -- to write a fast all-the-way-through, messy first draft for the first time in my life. It is against my nature, and it is difficult, but I am trying, and this post is lovely.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, if you ever have to quit your day job, can I recommend minister? Or angel???

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I think of belief as love in action"--I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys make me happy. Truly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm trying to get through the middle of my revisions. You're exactly what the doctor ordered.

    thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are truly inspiring me today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, you have to stop writing such beautiful, perfect posts. You're making the rest of us look bad. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belief is the most powerful...uh... power any of us possess. And we can't be reminded of it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful post. thank you:)

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.