Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Opposites Attract

I don't understand why people think writers are their characters. We couldn't be more different. 

Character: acts spontaneously and organically
Writer: plots like the devil

Character: is blinded by fatal flaws
Writer: begs to be critically read, edited and/or publicly discussed

Character: has lovable, endearing quirks
Writer: has sociopathic habits only she understands

Character: eats colorful, easily imagined, and highly evocative food
Writer: scrapes crumbs from the couch cushions when fridge is empty and deadline is near

Character: falls in love with the wrong person
Writer: falls in love with the right words

Character: grows, changes, is not the same
Writer: is the same ("only better") with each book

Perhaps a writer needs one of these amulets.  

4 comments:

  1. Character: eats colorful, easily imagined, and highly evocative food
    Writer: scrapes crumbs from the couch cushions when fridge is empty and deadline is near
    HAHAHAHA! *snort* Oh, Sara. I need to know when you invisibly came over here and saw me do that...

    We are definitely not who we write -- and the sooner we know that, the easier it is to write characters who make mistakes. I struggle with that ALL THE TIME. And I think "Keep Calm and Carry On" is going on my list of Tattoos I Would have if I Wasn't A Wimp Afraid of Needles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tanita, I'm sure your scraped crumbs are homemade, organic ones, and not weeks-old dust from stale graham crackers like mine...

    A Tattoo list is a most excellent idea. If your list includes possible body locations, I think "Keep Calm" on the back of one hand and "Carry On" on the back of the other would be perfect for pounding the keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am laughing-crying over this post. Honey, you definately deserve an amulet. Tanita -- you, too. I say we order a round of 'em and pass 'em out to everyone who's thirsty...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "has sociopathic habits only she understands"

    The patrons look at me when I laugh that hard. Also, Sara has clearly also been invisibly visiting my house.

    That's a brave post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.