Sunday, July 8, 2007

And I quote...

I added a quote to my header. You can see it up there, floating under Read Write Believe.

I love those words from E.B. White. They make me feel that it's okay not to know what you want all the time. That it's okay to want more than one thing. That it's not pretentious to desperately desire to be significant and worthy, even though you know you'd hop on a tabletop and polka if given half a chance. (I did that once, in Germany, at Oktoberfest. I was told sternly to get down.)


I also considered these lovely quotes:

"The painter passes through states of fullness and of emptying. That is the whole secret of art." --Pablo Picasso

"In a way, I have nothing to say, but a great deal to add." --Gore Vidal

"I have no words. My voice is in my sword." --Macduff from Shakespeare's Macbeth. (I don't know why, but I've always wanted to say that in real life.)

"Be kind, for everyone you know is fighting a great battle." --Philo of Alexandria (I love this one so much that I'm writing a book about it.)

or perhaps, simply:

"More matter with less art." --Hamlet, Shakespeare


I don't know. Did I pick the right one? Maybe I'll see how I feel when I get out of bed tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! And I love White.

    I'm extra-curious about your new book now, having read that other great quote.

    Shoot, they're all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quote!

    Inspired me to clean off my desk enough to find my sheet of inspirational quotes (yes, not so good to bury the inspiration; perhaps that's been the cause of the lack of output here!) and see if they needed updating.

    I have several which I rotate but the one always on each sheet of quotes is Do it Right, Do it Big, Do it with Style (Fred Astaire)

    Thanks for dropping by my blog & happy to hear you liked my Leonard Cohen selections.

    And you have an aussie! Named Indy! Too cool. I love my malamute girl a lot but I'm thinking an older border collie or aussie from the local rescues for the next dog....just need to convince dh we need another dog. In addition to the ones we foster. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I LOVE that E.B. White quote! I've never heard it before, and I'm so glad you shared it.

    I also adore that Philo of Alexandria quote. Wow. Beautiful. And I'm with Jules--can't wait to read what you're writing about it!

    Thanks for the great words. We can all use more of those.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.