Friday, July 20, 2007

Poetry Friday: Annunciation


Annunciation

Blessed, blessed

are you, for


I

will make you weep

when the light hits the grass

in the morning.

I will make you crave

conversation like red

meat, lay you

weak, at the feet

of strangers. I will open

lives like vistas

before you

that you will never

seal.


Every

beautiful thing

will come to you and press

against your flesh.

There is nothing

that will not call

your name, nothing

that you will not long

to possess, nothing

that will not offer up red

kisses, coupling,

seeping into the roots

of the world.


I

will deceive you,

tell you all you need is a

mouthful, but in truth,

I know the desire

I infect you with is

boundless.

See, how the red shoes

I bind to you prick

your feet,

hungry for the beat

and sway

of note upon note,

paint upon paint,

word upon word,

blood from blood.


Blessed, oh! blessed

are you.


---Sara Lewis Holmes (all rights reserved)


To read more about what prompted this poem, see previous post: Painter: Lucian Freud

Poetry Friday roundup is at Mentor Texts and More.

8 comments:

  1. O MY GOD. O MY GOD. O MY GOD.

    Holy crap, Sara, that is beautiful. I was reading that, feeling my world getting rocked big time, and thinking, WHO IS THIS AMAZING POET SHE IS TREATING US TO THIS MORNING? (and, so okay, I wasn't really yelling that, but I was in my mind).

    That is utterly gorgeous. I mean, sublime. I'm going to read and read and read and re-read that and then send the link to my biggest poetry friend, Shannon.

    Thank you thank you for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara -- that is stunningly wonderful. Seriously.

    I saw over at Alkelda's that you're planning on using the lyrics to Anthem in a WIP -- be sure you have permissions before you move ahead. I have a friend with her first novel coming out who has spent serious time and money (and even more significant amounts of anxiety and stress) getting clearance to use what she wanted to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, how entirely beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, WOW.
    Sara, you did it.
    You gave a voice to art.

    I am simply blown away.
    How beautiful. SO, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, all. I've been away from the blog most of the day, so it was nice to come back to such warm comments.

    And thanks, Kelly, I'm already thinking about permissions. It's just a snippet, so it might fall under fair use. I'm going to ask my editor before we get too far along.

    Now I'm off to blog hop and discover more poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *sigh* This is so beautiful I makes me cry. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is stunning. Thank you for this poetic treat.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.