Friday, August 17, 2007

Poetry Friday: Drive-by Truckers

When you marry someone, you don't always understand the things they love. My husband doesn't really fathom why I love beets or fried baloney. And I fail to see the beauty of the battered tin cup that holds his loose change or the appeal of the coat he's owned since 1982. But, I did get him to love yoga and The Prydain Chronicles, and he introduced me to Neko Case and loud, fast jets.

We are celebrating 23 years of marriage tomorrow. So, for Poetry Friday, here are the lyrics to a song he loves. I think it's growing on me, too.

The songwriter, Jason Isbell says this: This (song) focuses on the advice I got growing up, mostly from my father. We recorded the song just before Father's Day and I gave Dad a copy as a present:



Don’t call what you're wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
Don’t worry about losing your accent, a Southern Man tells better jokes.
Have fun but stay clear of the needle. Call home on your sister’s birthday.
Don’t tell them you’re bigger than Jesus, don’t give it away....
Full lyrics here
-----Outfit, by the Drive-by Truckers, from their album, Decoration Day

14 comments:

  1. YAY Neko Case!

    I love this post. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I get teased all the time for LOVING BEETS.

    "The beet is the most intense of all vegetables" -- first line of Jitterbug Perfume, I believe it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, you got married when you were ten, too, huh?

    Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, TadMack...that's legal where I grew up. :)

    jules: yeah, beets! I had an amazing beet and mango salad in L.A. Yum...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary!

    Beets are good, but sliced tomatoes with sugar sprinkled on them (especially when the tomatoes came from your own backyard) yummmm....

    I have Squeeze and The Tubes to thank my husband for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! I seriously LOVE the Drive-by Truckers. Excellent choice.

    Here's to the next 23 years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing like a roasted beet, carrot and potato salad sprinkled with goat cheese...yum.

    Here's to a Happy Anniversary to you and your husband and many more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary, Sara!

    But, seriously, I think I'm with your husband on the fried baloney thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary, Sara.
    I'm totally with you on the fried baloney, but not the beets. Didn't you hear what happened to Oprah?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the good wishes. And for sharing your feelings about beets. I'm now considering a post called "Beets: Good or Evil?" :)

    Eisha: somehow I KNEW you would be the one to get the Drive-by Truckers. My husband will be thrilled. My daughter is actually a convert, too, but the two of them share a lot of music anyway. I'm just the bystander much of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. we've got a split decision here... my wife lives beets (i tolerate them), i love the fried baloney (she won't let it in the house).

    happy anniversary, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oops. she LOVES beets, but if she had her way i think she'd live them as well...

    ReplyDelete
  13. And we didn't even get into the whole "Is it baloney or bologna" thing...

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.