Thursday, November 8, 2007

From The Sandbox (and a Book for Review)

What does a soldier stationed in Afghanistan write about? The most important thing in the world. From a post over at The Sandbox:
"This is what it's all about. You can see a lot of the emotions of Afghanistan on their faces. Determination, friendliness, happiness, uncertainty, and trepidation are all there on one face or another. The children of Afghanistan are the future of Afghanistan, and when these children are educated and grown and live in an Islamic democratic society that works, there will be no home in Afghanistan for extremism. That is what will make our country and all the countries of the world safer."

Go read the entire post (it's mostly pictures with commentary) and then, check out Gary Trudeau's book that is based on this blog. Yes, I'm talking about the creator of the comic strip, Doonesbury. He launched a blog for military personnel on the front lines, and this book was just released in October.

Would somebody like to review it as a YA read?
(I'll send you a copy. Post your name in the comments or email me.)


The book was featured on NPR's All Things Considered, and is "a fundraiser for Fisher House, a 'home away from home' for the families of patients receiving medical care at major military and VA medical centers."

5 comments:

  1. I would be honored to be selected as a reviewer of this important book.

    Melodye
    newport2newport AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the early bird, Melodye. I'll be emailing, you.

    Anyone else? I can send out one more.

    I hope you all don't think I'm strange for sending out review copies of a book that I didn't write and don't have any publishing connections to. But I'm almost certain, after reading several posts from The Sandbox, that this one would be worth looking at for YA, and I'm equally certain that Trudeau is not thinking of kidlit bloggers in his distribution plans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome you're doing this, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I second Hip Writer Mama: it's great that you're doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started to do more memorizing of poetry in 1993, but then I stopped. Thanks for reminding me! I like to set poems to songs, too, to help with the memorization.

    ReplyDelete

R-E-S-P-E-C-T (or you will be deleted)

You can receive followup comments to this conversation by checking the "notify me" box below the comment window.